Thursday, August 30, 2007

Who Would'a Thunk? I love my job.

My first two and a half weeks (exactly) of work at my new job consisted of me sitting on my ass trying to look busy, and occasionally succeeding. I've written about that at some length below. In fact I sent links to everything I've written about this job to my sister Mary and was surprised to see I had 6 posts.

Suddenly at high noon yesterday I sprang into action. My boss and the system developer discovered some major discrepencies in the new system we will be using "any day now." I was put to the task of taking care of everything we needed to do on our end (which was most of the work). Everyone seems happy with my work so I'm glad. We're still getting a couple of logic errors and the true geeks are going to have to disect the code to fix them I'm sure. That's what came up today. At the end of the day yesterday, the system was left nearly empty with data backups waiting to be re-imported. By the end of today, everything is loaded but not everything is working.

I think I'm going to love this job. It's been a long time since I loved a job. A very long time. In retrospect, I've always allowed people to promote me to a supervisory or management role and I just really hate managing. Oh give me a system to manage and I'm great. Just don't make me have to manage, directly or indirectly, personnel.

I will flat turn down any such further offers from here forward. I will not be a manager. And I will be a very effective and happy employee. I blog more when I am happy so that may not necessarily come as good news to you.

2 comments:

Mrs. Pallagi said...

THIS IS GREAT - Everyone should have a job they love and while it doesn't always happen, it is wonderful when it does.

Beth said...

WOW! What a difference a week makes. I'm happy you are enjoying your job more. Makes a big difference.